Tuesday, June 24, 2008

AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

Perspective - looking at things from a new angle, stepping away from something, giving yourself a larger view or maybe just a different one.

Moving to Germany is providing me the opportunity to gain perspective on many aspects of life in America. One of the things I needed to learn quickly here is that stores - grocery, clothing, stylists are not open late and all are closed on Sundays and holidays.

It was a quick lesson as I arrived on the last day of April and the first of May is a holiday, so if I wanted groceries or items I needed to move quickly. I also must be conscious at work of how late I work as most stores close in the early evening.

I found this to be annoying as I could not get what I wanted when I wanted it - the convenience I thought that America provides. "How quaint. How 1950's," I thought. And don't forget, "How annoying." I want my diet coke, or my groceries or even to go clothes shopping on a Sunday - hey it beats doing laundry. But no. Not here, this is just another of the many "rules" the Germans seem to love to live by.

So I adjust my schedule and like everyone, make sure I go to the market on Saturday to make it through Sunday, but with a little arrogant American chip on my shoulder.

Last weekend though I learned another interesting twist on this rule. A new work buddy of mine rebuilds old cars - American ones and races them. And he had a race on Sunday, but he had to take the car their early -- on Saturday, because in Germany it is illegal for trucks to be driven on Sundays. No deliveries, no trailers with race cars - all are grounded on Sundays, holidays and some full holiday weekends.

"What the f*#@?"

In the explanation, a shift in my perspective occurred. Many people like to go away on weekends, and especially long holiday ones, so taking trucks off the road limits the traffic, making it easier for travelers. Trucks are also generally forced off the road on all holidays and holiday weekends.

And it suddenly dawned on me that maybe business as a 24 hour convenience that we have become used to in America isn't really serving its intended purpose, to improve the quality of our lives. Of course that is my definition of business. Perhaps that quality is better served in having a day off every week - almost forcing me to stop moving for a day and who wouldn't rejoice in reducing the frustration of a congested holiday weekend.

Maybe, just maybe business and capitalism hasn't really been serving Americans at all, may we have been serving it.

Shopping on Saturday doesn't seem such a bad thing after all.

1 comment :

The Dancing Attorney said...

Yes, yes, yes! Whenever I shop for a car I still get ticked off that the car dealerships follow the Blue laws in TX and it made me so mad that they aren't open on the days when working people have "off" but now I agree with you Michael that it would help me tremendously if I were forced to take a day of rest w/o options. Of course we could use self-discipline but I haven't had that much luck with that! And along those lines, it now ticks me off that the sports organizations for kids have absolutely no problem with scheduling games and events on Sundays, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Memorial Day, etc. I've ranted enough. Maybe I need to move to Europe. Of course my husband said I wouldn't even be able to live in a small town like Kerrville, TX so maybe I ought not make any drastic moves.