Thursday, June 29, 2017

June 29, 2017: Pilgrim Holiday, Why Walk When You Can Take A Cruise!

ANDECHS TO DIESSEN (5km + 10km by Boat)

CLICK HERE FOR TODAY'S PICS

During the night I slept under a dormer window and was awoken by rain drops dripping on my head - no bother, I moved to the other end of bed - and it was quite nice.

I awake in the morning, a little sore, but amazingly better. One thing that has always come to me from the walks is how amazing the body is at restoring strength and energy when pushed. I also do know completely the meaning of the word EXHAUSTED.

My plan today was to take a short day.It is a 3 mile walk to a nearby town, which has a ferry that takes one across the lake, saving having to walk around the lake --about 20km. Please Sandra - don't tell your mother!

I AM NOT CHEATING!!!!
Hey pilgrims were not just poor people, noble persons also did the pilgrimage and I am sure they took better accommodations and boat rides

But alas not all plans go as expected. Since I was so spent yesterday, I did not call ahead to reserve a room in Diessen, and when I called this morning, the "proverbial inn was full," not even a manger. SHIESE - here we go again, which meant at least a 14-16 mile day.

At breakfast, I met two German women pilgrims, And I shared with them some information on the route and accomodations in each town just for pilgrims - the average cost 20 Euros ($24) for  room and breakfast. They were kind and we had a few laughs. Later after I was turned down by the inn, and a bit frustrated and anxious about having a good size walk ahead, they came back to me with their guide book which listed multiple hotels and places to stay in Diessen.

The first one I rang had a single room and breakfast for 45 Euros ($54). SOLD!!!! Did I mention the part about NOBLE PILGRIMS...just call me Sir Michael!

So a very short and lovely walk thru the forest to Herrshing, - a walk I did many times when living in Munich - loved coming out by suburban train, taking a sort hike to Andechs for food and gute beer and in every season - a favorite was in snow with my sons God-Mother Lalla, but I digress.  I arrive in Herrshing with enough time for a cappuccino at the dock, I board the ferry for  a lovely 30 minute ride watching wind and kite surfers with the Alps in the background to find myself in a lovely lakeside town and a nice room - with wifi...which is how I get to update this blog now.

A nice restful afternoon, and joined by my dear friend Birgit for dinner, provided a lovely VACATION day after yesterdays near-death march!

When writing this blog, I realized today is one year from when I ended my walk last year in a weird and wonderful mystical walk up the mountain retracing my steps from my first day ever on the way - and when I first became a pilgrim. I love this day - and if interested - check it out - June 29, 2016. CLICK HERE FOR LAST YEARS ENDING BLOG

So I am back on the road again tomorrow, but am planning smaller days for this shorter than usual pilgrimage.

Bis spatter!

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

A capuccino at the dock? I am PRETTY SURE even noblemen didn't have access to such indulgences! :)
Thank you for the wonderful writeups!