Friday, July 4, 2014

DAY 47: Juy 4: Campignola di Roma to La Storta (28km - 17 m - 660 total)

I feel like I am in Rome already - there is much more going on here as LaStorta is on one of the main highways into Roma, so really is like a suburb. In fact, I walked right past it and had to back track as there was no clear indication of a town, but I get ahead of myself....

Yesterday was typical italian Pelligrino day for me. After arriving in town and finding Ostello, a community service building - not so nice, but sfficed. I walked about town, found internet, updated blog, had a lil refreshment, a lil nap back into town for cena (dinner - pronounced Chain-a), I finished my Henry James Book (Turning of the Screw) and realized I am not a fan of Henry James, but love his brother William James, one of Americas foremost philosphers of his age. He also wrote one of the first scientific journal on psychology, but I digress.

I awoke this morning with more bites (many), and ths has been gong on for the last few days. If they are mosquito bites, then the mosquitos near rome are quiet and stealth - much like the pickpockets Rome is famous for....I will be holding tight to my wallet and my bag!!!! My fear is that they are bed bugs I have picked up along the way and may now live in my sleeping bag - so no more sleeping bag...luckily tonight is my last night in Ostello...4 star hotel in Roma for Saturday and Sunday night!

The walk today was long and difficult - mainly due to a stretch of 8 miles with no services and little shade and today was hot and still - very little breeze. But there were many lovely parts - including having to cross a river and a tunnel thru the forest. The morning walk started with a 2 mile climb, then I thought I might bypass more climbs by sticking to the road. This I did, but added another 2
miles to my day....AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

After this LONG short-cut, I decided to stick to the path and follow the guide and waymarks. It was more climbs, but some great views and occassional shade. In the middle of the 8-mle stretch, I passed a model airplane club's flying spot, which had a covered area and some chairs, so with the coke zero I brought along, I made my own cafe. Smart thnking.

The end of the 8 mile stretch wasa mile walk up. By this time my water was depleted - only about 1/4 bottle left and very warm. When I reached the top I was spent -  looked at my hands and my fingers were wrinkled from slight dehydration and I was spent (with still 3 more miles to go). I desprately needed a shady spot to sit and at this point there is a suggestion to deviate from the route and climb a hill to see a church (Are you fricking kidding me?!?), but I noticed in that direction was some stairs in the shade and I thought perfect - when I got to the stairs - about 50 feet away and up - I realized this was the church with a lovely shaded square, benches - and even better a fountain...and its water was SO COLD. PILGRIM RESCUE. I sat - drank a LITER of COLD water and had an orange. 3 miles to go.


As I started to walk, back in the sun, I realized I was better, but still fatiqued, so I thought I would listen to music to hopefully incentivize me. It helped a little, then my friend from Dallas who is a singer song-writer, Kerri Arrista came on. Kerri's song "Walk Beside Me" (which is really called Michael's song - because she wrote it as an assignment for a class I led in creativity - how we met - but I digress again). Check out Kerri's song with my thoughts and pics of my last pilgrimage at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP2-SCh2B0Y.

 When Kerri's song came on, I happened to look up and a house about 100 yards in front of me had the laundry out and flapping in the wind was a Hello Kitty towel - Kerri is a HUGE Hello Kitty Fan. And this little bit of connection inspired me and charged me. It is amazing the power of the mind. I suddenly was full of energy - that led to me realizing how close I am, how far I have come and I kid you not, I DANCED the last 3. Actually I danced the last 3.25, as I was so busy dancing that I walked right past the town.

Turn around, find a bar, have a celebratory Pelligrino Lemon (an Italian Lemon malt drink) much more refreshing than beer. Got directions to the Ostello and was happy to find a park-like Oasis in this busy lil town. I took a shower and fell dead asleep fr an hour as my head hit the pillow.  So now I am up for the evening, and though you have seen the Plgrim Mikelly many times, I thought I would show you the new, stylish touristy version! I am saving the REAL CHIC stuff for Roma...




Finally as I was walking to Internet, I saw this sign for Roma - the lil circle means the "center"....

NEXT STOP ROMA and the Vatican!

No comments :