Friday, May 26, 2023

Cam Del Norte - Day 3 - Zarautz to Deba - 14 miles

I should read my own blog
 


Today started great with a lovely easy walk along the shore,  albeit next to a road followed by a nice breakfast at a Cafe and then back on the way. 

Zarautz, today's starting place is famous for surfing and they were out early today. 

Great scenery throughout!




It was a day full of ups and downs, which I skipped the first part by talking the road along Beach to next town, but then they came. 

I was doing well even though it was warm and sunny.  The views were awesome and I felt good,  special worth my new knee girdles 🤔.

I took many breaks,  had food with me and wished for more shade.  About 2/3 complete I decide to take an alternate route,  it looked shorter but was directly on the ocean mostly. 

Immediately as I turned,  someone yelled,  "No!".... which I should have taken as an omen.  Because this way was much more hilly than the normal route.  Including very steep climbs and descents.  I was a couple miles on when I realized I had taken this route in 2018 and it almost killed me. 

High steep climbs and descents with one climb not fit for a goat. Followed by multiple other climb. 

I'm guessing the fatigue hit me hard as i got lost,  slipped at one point and ripped my pants at the knee ( no injury, except for my ego) and had to retrack... adding more climb. I got to the point of exhaustion that I could not make a simple climb without multiple, frequent rest breaks. 

 Embarrassingly it was about 10 steps and pause...I was psyching myself out.  Weirdly counting my steps helped a when i got to 10, if k 20, then at 20, 30, etc and I made it to the top of the highest mountain and immediate unloaded and laid down about 15 mins.

Weirdly the exact same thing happened in 2018- you can see the day 3 blog.

I got to a highway with one more big climb and gave up, as the road was all downhill into town.... no more alternative routes for me!!!

Tired  Perigrino


1 comment :

Shanna Boals said...

I admire your tenacity. What an accomplishment!