Friday, May 26, 2023

Day 2 Epilogue new amigo and language fails

I want to share a story about language that happened last night and other cool things  

I was trying to buy some cough drops and didn't know the word for them but I knew how to say I need something so in the sharp I said that I need something and kind of rubbed my throat and the shop man took me to the shaving cream when I replied no and then instead of grabbing my throat pretended to cough he said yes I understand but you also need this indicating I needed a shave which was true LOL.

Later while in another shop trying to buy some support for my knees I also knew how to say I need something for my niece but I couldn't quite explain what I needed and somehow I slipped from Spanish to French and then apologized and told the young lady that I am studying Spanish but I'm better in French and she replied me too and started speaking in French. 

So many people get nervous while trying to speak in a different language because they don't have a good vocabulary or skills but I have found that my mistakes become natural ways to connect with people because they're so silly and funny and they lighten the spirit. For example when I move to Germany to work I continued in German lessons and I was trying to show off on my first lesson because I had taken over a month of German in intensive courses so when the teacher started with the very basic how are you I was trying to say I am good but I'm a little bit sore in the back and what I actually said is I am good but I'm a little bit pregnant in the back😳

This little story has made me friendly with many Germans on many Caminos laughter is a great connector.

Finally my last adventure from yesterday is while having an ice cream on the beach I ran across the Spanish man that I met the day before angel and so we spent some time talking and realized we had children about the same age and I found out he was a pilot for Iberia Airlines and that he often flew from Spain to Dallas. One of the things I love most about the Camino is meeting people from all over and making new friends. So I promise to take him to a steakhouse for dinner on one of his future trips when I'm home.


No comments :