Sunday, May 28, 2023

Day 5 Cam del Norte - Markina to Mendata

 

 SMALL CHANGES - BIG REWARDS


Today's pics



Today I made two small changes,  eat more, slow down. 


At home I generally eat < 1500 calories and do intermittent fasting (eating from 11-7pm). But here in burning more than 2000 calories per day.  Last night I ate a plate of pasta,  bread,  three chicken breast steaks,  salad,  a fried egg, potatoes, ice cream and wine. I couldn't finish the last steak... but I tried. 



This morning I had coffee,  a half baguette and half croissant. This was hard as I'm not used to eating early and had to force it down.  Later had a small sandwich (like weiner schnitzel with peppers) about noon.  Also ate a bit of a protein bar.  Weird thing is about every hour now I feel hungry.  


Having long legs and walking 5 miles frequently,  I have a fairly quick stride 14- 18 mins/ mile.  I think I have been walking faster than I should, so today slowed down by about half. 


This worked great even with some good climbs.  But also helping was that several long stretches were mostly flat in forests and there was allot of shade and the temp not as hot as yesterday. 



I would have completed the whole day, but luckily in a bar about 5 miles from end,  I bumped into some Germans and Austrians who told me there were few beds left in Gurnika... cheapest at 70€. Evidently the alburgue there is closed until mid June,  when more pilgrims come thru.  So just 1/4 mile further I got bed and dinner for 29€... which is exactly what I had in my wallet.  Good thing as they only take cash. 


As they say sometimes God does for you what you won't do for yourself ( cutting my day short).😇


Going the slower speed really helped me keep energy up,  even on hills.  And an added bonus this speed changed my self talk from a beat down to a great meditation on family, and life. 


Super pilgrim is back...I hope. 



No comments :