Friday, June 1, 2018

Camino Del Norte - Day 15 - Santillana del Mar to Comillas - 0K


TODAYS PICS

PILGRIM DAY OFF:
I woke to find I had used all the data in my prepaid phone in just 2 weeks here, Was surprised, but have been using a camino mapping app, which if I keep it on is constantly sending and receiving gps data. Also been uploading pics and other crap more than usual, so understand. And the cost is quite cheap. Most Americans I know who come here, use their home phone and pay a daily surcharge - usually more than $10/ day. It is quite easy to buy an "UNLOCKED" phone in the USA  and purchase a sim card/ 30 days access for about $20 total.  I bought a MOTO X smart phone on Amazon and added another $15 today, so still a very cheap option.

The dilemma this morning was what to do without a phone - which means no wifi/ internet access on the road; so none of my apps would work. WTF - NO GOOGLE!?!?!  I have really come to rely on this when getting into towns to find a place to eat, sleep, shop etc.

Funny how only 4 years ago I walked for two months across France, Switzerland and Italy without one piece of technology, Theres something to be said for this. However on this walk, unlike any other I have taken, there are so many alternative paths, and sometimes you will come to a fork and theres an arrow pointing in both directions...again another WTF!

Anyway, a nice challenge to sort out what to do. Since I have become my own pilgrim, and certainly not a PP (Pilgrim Purist) who must walk every single step; I chose to find my way to the nearest ORANGE Phone shop, wasn't far away and a local bus was coming at 9:45 in the morning - allowing me an extra bit of chill time. Normally on the road between 7:30 and 8.

But local transport can be tricky - and this bus wasn't marked and being in a tourist town, there were tons of busses coming and going. Lucky for me Im a pilgrim and the Spanish are exceptionally kind and helpful to us. Often cars will honk and give a thumbs up as they pass. So a half hour ride, a quick stop at the tourist office to find a map on paper and directions to nearest ORANGE shop and all handled.

Since the bus back wasn't for three hours, I opted for the luxury of a cab ride to todays walking destination, Comillas, and since I was going luxury, I thought Id check out hotels on Booking.com while I was enjoying a lovely cafĂ© con leche and croissant in the city square; and found a 3-star gem for $50. SOLD

So the afternoon, spent napping, reading, a lil jaunt around the city, an early dinner...all relaxing and good prep for a 29k day tomorrow. Sadly afternoon showers in the forecast. However I will take 60 and rainy over 100+ temps that are in Dallas right now. Feeling for my peeps.

Interesting Camino Bathroom fact for me anyway - was surprised how much I peed today (LOL); when I walk, I think my body uses every bit of fluid I intake. I think I peed more in one go today, than I did all last week, In fact, I was starting to get bored and antsy, it was taking so long - LOL!

Buen Camino!

No comments :