Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Camino Primitivo - Day 1 (19) - Ovideo to San Juan de Villapenada

TODAYS PICS

Yesterday was spent in taking a leap forward via train from Llanes to Ovideo, the first city on the Primitive Camino. It was raining quite a lot in Llanes all morning, but the train seemed to brighten as we went on. Oviedo was lovely and I spent the afternoon scouting about, doing a bit of laundry, sampling the local sidre. (alcoholic cider) and the unique way of serving, by pouring from a great distance to aerate the cider. The waiters pour you one drink (taste) at a time; and they keep wandering around to give you your next drink. Had a lovely dinner of large grilled shrinp and pulpo (Octopus).

The weather forecast for today was initially rain later in the day; but it rained constantly overnight; and as I awoke in the night, I began to think that I would stay another day in Oviedo instead of leaving earlier than usual as I had planned. But when I woke up at 5:30, the rain had stopped, and the forecast, still had low percentage chance for rain during the morning; and increasing after 1:00, so I decided to set out early.

Leaving the hotel at 6:00, it was still dark and mostly deserted. Normally I hate walking out of cities; but walking so early and it only took a few kilometers to get out of the city. I was walking into the surrounding hills as it got lighter and the sun began to rise. It was a lovely cool morning (in the 50’s) and the countryside/ views were awesome.

The walk today was split between roads and paths, but lovely for most. A couple hours later I arrived in the first small town that had a bar/ café listed as being there. But as I rounded the corner, I could see it was closed as all the shutters were locked down. As I paused in front of the bar and was googling café/ bar near me” the shutters began to rise, as the bar was opening. QUELLE PROVIDENCE!

A nice coffee, croissant and orange juice and I was ready to tackle the rest of this long, mildly challenging day. The difficulty was rated 3 out of 5. And that seems about right. There were frequent climbs and descents, but not too steep or if so, only for a short while.

My guide indicated the alburgue I was staying in was out of the way; and if I wanted to eat dinner, I needed to pick up some food in the last town before the alburgue. There was a LIDL there, and I got a nice packages Caesar chicken salad, some beers, some bread and was off.

Another 4k, and I was nestled in the best appointed alburgue I have seen. There is a lot of food/ drinks/ wine/ beer/ candy in fridge and in a vending machine here, in case pilgrims arrive empty handed. The entire set up is donation, and quite lovely view over the city…with the exception of the less than hot shower, but not a biggie.

It only began raining during the last mile or so; and about 20 minutes after I took the rain cover off my mochila! LOL. I actually felt really good and strong today, and considered going further, but wasn’t sure if the next town had an alburgue, and didn’t want to have to keep going beyond that; and this place, as I said is lovely.

Tomorrow is a little more difficult day; but 4k/ 2 miles shorter.

Buen Camino!

No comments :