Sunday, June 3, 2018

Camino Del Norte - Day 17 - Colombres to Llanes - 26k/ 16 miles

TODAYS PICS

TODAYS VIDEO
Dont forget you can slow this down, so not so dizzying, by clicking on the GEAR icon (settings) when in Youtube

I had the best Mexican meal last night in the lovely little restaurant in Colombres. It was the best mole, I have ever had and such a lovely little place.

Today was my last day on the Camino Del Norte - tomorrow, I will leap ahead a couple of days to Oviedo, where the Camino Primitive begins.

Today was a hard and lovely day, and a bit weird too, but again in a lovely way. I think the Camino Del Norte wanted to kick my butt, physically and emotionally - making sure I got what I came for before I left.

I had an early start, as the alburgue didnt serve breakfast until 8, and I wake normally about 6. I stayed in bed for an hour, then headed out shortly after 7:00. Walking without my morning coffee, is not my choice, but I was able to secure one just a mile or so away.

The morning's walk was lovely and tough, some hills, and the coastline, which was very rocky and uneven, made it a slow go and a challenging one, but the views were spectacular, even with the non-stop misting rain.  I walked along cliffs. I walked through a herd of cows. I climbed several fences and even climbed over a natural stone bridge, carved out by the sea. It was a bit scary, expecially as the waves hitting the cliff walls made a big and resonant boom, sounding like thunder. It was so cool!

The morning was exhausting, I am thinking because of the constant rocky up and downs along the coast, and the uneven footing making concentration important. The non-stop misting rain didnt help either.

A little while later a veer off into town, for a second coffee and a wee bit of breakfast - juice and a croissant with some other pilgrim friends. Then back on the path which went off road again, but it was a dirt path with climbs and descents, and continuing rain. I am not sure why, but I was more tired today while walking, perhaps the first cliff part without any food took its toll. Did not really bonk, but maybe a mini one. Nothing bad or serious and I still made all climbs without problem, just felt sluggish.

It is amusing what happens to me when I walk and my mind wanders...or maybe it gets lost - LOL. Often times, I will have conversations with parts of me, physical (feet, knees, muscles, colon, etc.) or mental (attitude, heart, etc.). Sometimes I'm encouraging (Doing a great job knees!); sometimes I'm a tough coach (Right foot quit whining, I know you're tired and that aint helping!). The conversation with the colon one day was hysterical (Don't be an asshole; you need to keep up your end; etc.). I dont think these are out loud, but sometimes after walking alone a bit; Im not really sure.

Today's version took a weird twist as I began singing out loud, and just making up random lyrics about life and love and adventure and mistakes, and triumphs. It was like my own off broadway musical. It was wonderful to me; but I doubt anyone else. And I wish I had a recording - which would NEVER get shared - LOL!

Later another stop and still sluggish with 4 miles to go. I knew there were a couple miore climbs; so I decided to listen to music for the first time since walking - normally am nervous about phone battery, but I needed the charge and encouragement. So with the help of the Sugar Hill Gang, Cher and a few others was kicked into gear and was moving on. I actually had to slow myself down as I was jamming and was worried I was going to overstress my knees and tendons. LOL.

The rain kept getting harder and I was cold and drenched through and still tired, but lifted by the music when a Art Garfunkel song, Bright Eyes, came on, and I lost it. This song was feautred in the animated film version of my all-time favorite book, "Watership Down".I It is a song about death and love and I walked the last mile and a half in tears with thoughts of dad. I took this pic of his chair before I left; and it being empty fueled my sadness.

I arrived at a great hotel in Llanes, Hotel Don Paco; an amazing 3-star hotel. Similar hotels in the US would likely be several hundred dollars for a room; but on a Sunday night in Spain, I had booked a small single room for $50;. Dripping wet, I longed for a bath, and asked the reception if I could pay for an upgrade to a bigger room with a bath. And without hesitation, she moved me to the top floor,  without an increase. in cost. A very hot bubble bath soon ensued, and I am nestled in for a nap before a little exploration and dinner.

A lovely end to this part of the walk; and I look forward to see whats coming.

Buen Camino


No comments :