Friday, May 18, 2018

Camino Del Norte - Day 1 - Irun to San Sebastian - 26km


LINK TO ALL TODAYS PICS

This first leg is a lot of things, besides just the beginning. It is one of the longer days, it is one of the hardest days and it has some of the best views, Luckily I have some pilgrim friends who warned me of these and suggested, I use a light day pack and have my regular pack shipped. Since I actually flew in (or was supposed to - another story) to the end of Day 1's city, I just chose to stay there in a hotel, catch a train this morning to the starting point with a light day-pack. BEST DECISION EVER!!!

Train was easy, but first days in foreign countries are never really easy; so I got to use some of my rudimentary Spanish and made sure I was on correct train, Short 30 minute ride and I was a pilgrim,

 It is always exciting to return to the road and see that first signpost  - here a yellow arrow or scallop shell - even if it is a rough one.  First stop was the Alburgue (Pilgrim Hotel) in starting city to pick up my CREDENTIALE - this is the pilgrim passport and gets one access to the cheaper hotel/ hostels that are just for pilgrims - many don't even have a cost, just ask for a donation.  It also marks your journey as you get a "stamp" from each city as you pass. I was surprised by how many pilgrims were there, so not as dead along route as I thought it might be.

Then off to the races - so to speak. Sometimes I do get caught up in "racing" which is ludicrous, but sometimes find myself speeding up when I see pilgrims approaching - think its a MAN THING - not really sure; and I am often auto-correcting this one.  So it was a great day for walking - overcast and cool; but a horrible day to get the views from the ridge tops that I worked my arse off to get to!

But I guess that is just like life; its not very often we get to HAVE IT ALL. And isn't our only choice many times; our attitude about whats going on - to see the blessings instead of complain about absences,,,And so the way reminds me of another lesson. So not much going on today except a shitload of ups and downs. Yes I cursed - sorry mom; but shitload is the appropriate term for all of those bleeps. These are especially tough late in the day when you are climbing and know you are going back to sea level - I mean literally I was going back to the city by the sea. So I grumble and move on. Yes, so I admitted it - even good pilgrims grumble! 

A couple fun things happen today - I walked within 3 feet of a bull; directly between him and his lady friends, and this was a bit daunting; even when one realizes, he would not likely be there if he was a threat. Still this is Spain and he is a bull; and he watched me like a hawk. I avoided eye contact, but so wanted to yell, "Toro, Toro!" But there really was no where to run; not like a fence nearby, etc.  Lucky for me he must have been Ferdinand. You can see him at minute 6:10 briefly in my time lapse video (Suggest you slow down to half or quarter speed to avoid nausea).

DAY 1 VIDEO - This is kind of fun, though not great quality. You get to walk with me for a couple hours in just 6 minutes. I do suggest you "slow it down" by clicking on GEAR Icon in youtube and reduce by half.

Later in the day, I noticed several people passed me, saying OPA; which in German means grandpa. And I was thinking ANOTHER EXPLITIVE, PLEASE (See mom, I didn't say it) I'm moving fine, dang it! I later found out that EPA is a familiar/ friendly greeting in Spain, but usually to other locals - so maybe I aint the UGLY AMERICAN  some might suggest.

Anyway this day was tough, but I finished at 6.5 hours when estimated time was 8-10 hours - OPA MY ARSE! Though I am worried I might feel some pain tomorrow!

Buen Camino!



No comments :