Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Camino Del Norte - Day 4: Deba to Markina-Xemein – 25km (May 21)

TODAYS PICS - Yeah they are here finally!

TODAYS VIDEO
Well today was NOT yesterday. Still much climb and descents; but not as many and really only two large one; both coming in first half of another long day. Also I am getting my “sailor-legs”  so to speak.

I bought lunch to carry, walked at a more agreeable pace, and took longer and more frequent breaks – so even though easier, it took me longer – about 8 hours. There was a small incline 200 meters – which really aint that small at the end of the day. Again the power of the mind is incredible; near the end of the day with 5k to go, I thought I heard thunder and double timed it to town.  Arriba, Arriba Undele!

Speaking of food; I sort of feel like one of those French geese that they force-feed (overfeed) to expand their liver for fois grae. Last night at dinner, I was served two large chicken breasts, potatoes and salad; and though I was full after one; I ate it all. I know my body is using tremendous amounts of energy and needs fuels. Surprisingly I awoke hungry.  This morning at breakfast which I don’t usually eat, I was served a croissant, ham, cheese, and toast. Again I shoved it uncomfortably down.

So it seems each day brings a new metaphor. Lovely mostly inland day with nice scenery and hills that really were not nearly as steep/ bad as the ones yesterday.

I am also staying in my first Albergue – dormitory style arrangements for pilgrims. This is one of the better ones. 15 Euros (some are less or on donation basis), 9 euros for dinner and 3 for breakfast. You cant beat that. The man who showed me in also gave me the “BEST BED” as I am an American from Texas. Evidently there are many Basque people in Texas. (Eat your heart out Craig Towers – no such perks for Kiwis!)

Tomorrow is a longer day, but supposedly the hills are gentle and the scenery aplenty.

Buen Camino!

No comments :