Friday, May 25, 2018

DAY 8: Pilgrim Holiday ?? - Bakio/ San Juan de Gastelugotxe - Dragonstone - 15k

TODAYS PICS

What does a pilgrim do on his rest day?
He walks from sea level 4 miles over a large hill and 4 miles back - all to see DRAGONSTONE!

The TV Version
Real Life - San Juan de Gastelugotxe
This morning began with often one of the big challenges abroad - using public transportation. It did not seem too difficult, the bus station (??) was a short 15 minute walk, I knew the bus to get on (3518), I knew the departure time (10:30) but when I arrived at Plaza Mayua, I found a big circle and different buses landed and departed at different places. There were actually electronic signs, but when in new situation - all is hard to find. So I GOOGLEd it - and low and behold, google walked me to the right stop, I almost angered a line of people there as I did not realize they were queued up for the bus and went to the front to board bus. Driver pointed to line and I got the idea. 2 Euros and a half hour later I am in Bakio, my days destination of sorts.


I had emailed with hotel day before about arriving a little before the noon check-in and all seemed good. I called her when I was here at 11:15; but no answer. Several calls and texts later still nothing after 2 hours; so I asked bar next store if they would watch my backpack, packed a light sack and went off to find Dragon Stone. This site used is actually an island off the North of Spain with a church (not castle) on top. It was a 4 mile walk there and back; 2 miles uphill to get above Dragonstone and then down 2 miles to it.

With a light pack and a week of heavy pilgrimming, it was an easy day. And a highlight was that I was not winded on any of the climbs. OK I had only a light day pack and an overcast; cool day. But I still loved walking past heavily winded tourists, by keeping a steady pace. See I am getting my pilgrim feet!

Don't you see the resemblance -
YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW!

Walking along the beach of this town - am surprised that there seems so little life here. It is a beach town, with loads of condos near the shore, but there are few shops, few restaurants and hardly any people. Its a Friday afternoon in May. And even many of the condos look like relics from Post War Eastern Europe reconstructions. Beach front is so primo in the USA, it is hard to get my head around this. But I guess thats somewhat always the case with understanding other cultures; we first have to turn off our own lense. BUT STILL WEIRD TO ME,

Back to the hotel, a quick call, some lovely tapas and beer at bar next door and I am stowed away for the night, Tomorrow is another transit day to make it back en route, and then I begin my regular march again, now a day behind. But no matter, I catch a ride on a dragon (or bus) and will be in Santiago by June 17!

Buen Camino!


No comments :