Saturday, May 19, 2018

Camino Del Norte - Day 2 - San Sebastian to Zarautz - 20km

ALL TODAYS PICS

TODAYS VIDEO
Sorry about last few minutes; camera tilted up and you get some great shots of my chin!

Surprisingly woke with little soreness or pain; until I walked down the stairs of the hotel, and felt a bit of a twinge - so to speak. The morning was overcast, but burned off later. As I walked out of my hotel and began walking, I found within about 3-4 blocks the nicest stretch of beach-front restaurants, that I had totally missed. This can be one of the downfalls of being a pilgrim, constantly en route to the next place. So while you ge a great wide taste of a people, you often can miss the great details of a specific place, by not stopping to savor. With 2 tired nights/ days in San Sebastian - I missed it. I had planned on a more leisurely pace for this hike; but with additional travel plans coming along; have built a schedule that requires movement every day - MIGHT RETHINK THIS.

After a nice promenade along the beach, the path turned treacherously steep (like how I build drama?) with a path through the woods which was kicking my but a little, but being refreshed - not too bad. And I also found my stick. It is a habit of mine to find a walking stick along the way - that I bring home as my souvenir, so to speak. My good friend who goes with me along my journeys and has recused me plenty. There is nothing like a good walking stick, especially if hills are involved. My new stick is quite primitive and a bit prickly - but I think of this like an anti-theft security system - you have to know how to grab him just right.

So with my new stick in hand, I was able to tackle the morning hills even better. When the path came out of the forest, it continued up, but along a beach-front road for a couple miles. It was here that something hit me. I am no arbiter of truth; and while there may be many explanations for wondrous events or moments (accidents, coincident, psychosis, etc.), I feel what I feel and have my own story. As I was walking still uphill, I felt really light, even with my pack on, which was surprising - cause it ain't light. And immediately I thought, "Opa," or grandfather and my dad came to mind, who passed away in December. This was the first walk he was "with me." While being in shock / denial/ numb/ disbelief for months, a bitter sweet wave of feelings swept over me. Immense love, sadness, and just missing talking to him and knowing I had a true ally in the world. And I wept as I continued on. 
Later this would become even more meaningful.

The morning was quiet with few pilgrims, which is surprising as I know there are many out here. The Albergues have been filling up in many towns,. But I met a few, a couple German ladies and then a lady chatting with a cow - LOL. OK she was taking her picture, but she was smitten. We talked briefly and I found out she was from Vancouver and doing her 2nd Camino, then got separated on an uphill piece.

The day turned lovely and warm with amazing paths along the coast. It is amazing how undeveloped the land was, with even farms on the coastal front. I think back home this could never happen. So with plenty more ups and downs; I made my way to lunch about noon, in a lovely waterfront town called Obero, I think. It was here that I reconnected with the cow lady from Vancouver.  We sat outside and chatted and relaxed and learned some about each other, when an innocent joke and question turned into something magical - a miracle I say.

We were talking about kids moving home and the difference in mom and dad's attitudes toward this; when she said her son might move back home. Thinking of our conversation, I laughed and gave her the eye, "What does your husband think of this?" And she teared up and shared he had died 6 months before unexpected. That this trip had been planned before, and her sons and friends encouraged her to take  this first step outside - so to speak. I shared of my walk earlier and my dad's death, just weeks apart from her husbands. A light meal became a connection, a connection became full of truth and healing. After this we laughed again as we shared our names - Michel & Michael!

And so the chance meeting of two strangers, becomes this moment in time of connecting, and sadness, and healing. To me this was a miracle. ACIM says miracles happen constantly and are not necessarily what we think of as Hollywood miracles; but shifts in perspective that give someone new life. And I accept this magical, wonderful miracle; and know that they are available to me always - on every path I take; even on the one to and from work.

But for some reason, on the Way, I just feel more open and expectant. Did I mention the wine?! LOL I love being on a pilgrimage and the things that happen as I turn each corner.

Well not EVERY CORNER, damn there's another hill!

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS:
  • The police lockdown in the city as I was leaving
  • The spring fed fountain, yum
  • A beautiful and friendly horse
  • Wine cheaper than water
  • Watching farmers separate calves
  • The treacherous downhill stone path
  • The pilgrim rest stop
Buen Camino!



No comments :