Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Camino Del Norte - Day 6: Guernika to Larrabetzu - 17k

TODAYS PICS

TODAYS VIDEO

Today was first shorter day and a wee bit easier; mainly as I decided not to do a full 31.5k into Billboa. Lovely overcast walking with only a couple big hills. Even so, I realized my bonking is result of not only food, but also my pace.

In Dallas I walk regularly at least 5 miles or more, but it is very flat and all on pavement, sidewalks or smooth trails. My pace in Dallas is about 4 miles/ hour (6.4 km/ hour). With hills, I was still averaging about 4km/hr; but on longer days this means Im burning a lot of energy up front; so today OPA ARRIVED! I strolled through the day. I strolled up hills, I strolled down hills; and my breathing though stretched uphill was much less pronounced and my energy remained good.


Arriving about 1:00 in Larrabetzu, I opted for a pilgrim menu lunch for 12 Euros - Beer (or wine), Bread, Lovely mixed salad with asparagus, olives and fresh local tuna, Beef steak, fries and peppers, followed by dessert and expresso. The dining can be one of the highlights of pilgrimages; of travel in general.

I have been worried about the albergues being full; so yesterday I booked a room at a lovely Casa Rural (like a country B&B), but I was in perfect time for the Albergue in Larrabetzu.  After walking with a German couple and meeting others wish I had save my $65Euros and trusted "THE WAY." The alburgue was free - meaning there is no cost, but what you wish to donate,

Of course expecting a really nice dinner, room is lovely and the house lady did my laundry, which severely needed it!

Tomorrow another short day, followed by a day or two of holiday.


No comments :