Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Camino Del Norte - Day 13: Guemes to Santa Cruz De Bezana – 24km

TODAYS PICS

Last night the alburgue in Guemes shared with us its history. It was the birth place of 80 year old former priest, Padre Ernesto. An unconventional man of the people. In his first community assignment, he was high in the mountains in a mining community. As such, he not only was their priest, but also worked in the mines. His life was one of service, travel and service. The alburgue which operates totally in donations, funds not only this beautiful place, but also two missions – one a mission for local youth and a mission for the poor people of the southern hemisphere. There also is an outreach to the local prison, whose wall I walked by today.

Today was another overcast day with a wonderful 8km walk. First trhu countryside, and then along cliffs beside the ocean followed by a boat ride to a large city, Santander. I almost got off the boat at the wrong stop - which would have added another 10 miles to today - YIKES!
Most stayed in the city, I suppose wanting to explore, but I am not big on cities along the walk, and also wanted to get more miles under my belt today, both for my schedule and also to keep training for when I split onto the Primitive path.

The first couple kilometers in the city were nice, but to get out of a large city is always difficult, and usually boring and long. Today was no different. From shopping district, to industrial zone to train tracks, the second half was nothing to write about until something weird happened.

I was walking beside a house, and a large friendly German Shephard stuck his head thru the fence. I greeted him and he walked away, but as I was walking along the street, he approached me again and dropped a stone for me. Now this may not sound weird, but pilgrims usually carry stones with them, which they leave at Santiago or somewhere along the way. I had planned to do this, and have done it before, but did not pick any up. Since this is so symbolic and so weird, I felt I need to take his stone to Santiago. WEIRD – EH? Maybe he is a reincarnated pilgrim????

Another long day under my belt with an interesting day tomorrow, I hope.

Buen Camino!

No comments :