Friday, June 2, 2023

Day 10 Cam del Norte Castro Urdiales to Santano

 Today's pics



Last night I splurged on a wonderful Seafood meal with a new friend from Germany. We had lobsters clams scallops crab two or three different kinds of shrimp and the langostino which is like a small lobster and as well as octopus it was a seafood feast.


Sort of reminded me of when my parents had the seafood restaurant and we would visit from Dallas and dad would go in the kitchen and just keep bringing out different foods and different foods such a wonderful meal and this was not as cheap as the rest of the food has been.

Is not unusual for me to wake up in the middle of the night with my bladder urging me to take care of business and this certainly does not make me very happy. But this morning when this happened as I got out of bed I turned around and the sun was just peeking about the horizon and so all I had to dance between legs because I didn't want to miss the show it was a glorious morning watching the sun rise it really makes you appreciate the gift of the day. There's a whole series of these pics which I love


Today really felt like my Pilgrim legs were there finally I had a really strong morning walking the first 10K within 2 hours which was a pretty fast pace and I've been going slower today's goal was to get to Laredo which was at 32 km or about 20 miles which would be my longest day yet.


During the first 10K I had a wonderful surprise and that I stopped to sit on top of a cliff overlooking the ocean it was still cool in the morning I was just enjoying a short pause just because the spot was so beautiful and several pilgrims walked by including a couple of ladies and we chatted and I asked them where they were from and surprisingly they were from Delaware I hardly meet anyone who even knows where Delaware is let alone is from there. Their names were Marianne and Colleen but later on the walk I decided that I would give Colleen a different name to make it easier for myself and so I said would it be okay if I called you Ginger thinking of The Castaways on Gilligan's Island and she immediately turned to me and said I guess that would make you the professor even though she didn't know what I do which was quite a laugh.

There was really only one big climb today and unfortunately I really reached that area right around noon and so the Sun was shining down on me during some of the steep climbs but I did remarkably well. 

Arrived in the last town with the bar before getting to Laredo a little bit tired but felt strong and so continued on to Laredo and arrived in Laredo about an hour later and decided that since leaving Laredo you needed to take a boat and it didn't leave till 9:00 was the at the earliest I thought I'd go ahead and get on the boat get on the other side and stay there. 

And then I realized the last boat left at 6:00 and this was about 4:30 so I thought I had plenty of time cuz I thought it was only a few meters away maybe a half a mile and I started walking it turns out it was actually 2 miles away it was along a long string of condos reminding me of Ocean City Maryland and I wanted to make sure I caught the last boat so I continued on instead of resting all on hard surface which most of the day was which was really hard on my feet and my ankles. Added to this is that they have an interesting sidewalk tile that when you look down at it it looks like it's three-dimensional like a wave and made me kind of dizzy so I had to quit looking at the ground there's a picture of it but I'm not sure it gives you the full effect


At one point I realized so we're not realized but I wanted to find out how much time I had left to get to the boat and it said like 40 minutes and while this was going to give me time enough to get to the boat I didn't want to stop because I wanted to wait until I got to the boat I didn't realize it was this far away which may not seem like a lot but at the end of a 20-mile day another 2 mi is a lot. On top of that my Google app said the boat wasn't running which made me nervous even though I thought the boat was going to be running and their website said the last boat left at 6:00 so I decided to continue on instead of taking another break and just take a break while I waited for the boat. The whole time I walked this I was really nervous so I was walking fast cuz I was wanting to get the boat and I was also nervous that maybe Google was right and I couldn't imagine having to walk the two miles back into town to find a place to stay

I did make it to the boat area which is interesting cuz the boat actually lands on the beat Beach but the boat when it was heading towards me started circling which I thought was strange and I thought I hope they're not leaving for the day evidently somebody had dropped something overboard and also with the tide going out the boat landed further away than it does normally so I had to run down the beach to catch the boat before it left again not a fun thing after 22 miles now.


Today may have been the longest day I've ever walked on any Camino if not it's at least in the top five I did catch the boat and luckily the alburgue was just on the other side 


Another great Pilgrim menu or menu of the day for 15 Euros which included paella and some other grilled fish something called a bream which I've never had before and it was really good and now I'm off to bed with a tweak of tendinitis in my right ankle,  which I hope gets better overnight or at least feels a bit better overnight. Tomorrow's not such a long day but it's not a short one either but there's a great out there that we're going to end in that everyone's been talking about so I'm looking forward to that.



No comments :