Monday, June 5, 2023

Day 13 Cam del Norte Playa de San Juan to Boo de Pielagos

 Today's Pics

Murphys law day


Today was intended to be a medium walk continuing along the coast back to main Camino in Boo, about 8 - 13 miles,  but The Way had other plans. 


Several thoughts come to mind...

Murphys law

Be careful what you wish for

Things are not always as they seem 

The best laid plans often go awry

The Way always provides...


I woke early to another lovely sunrise and planned to relax and leave two hours later than normal (7am) as my phone indicated thecafe bar across the street opened at 9.


So an enjoyable morning just reading and relaxing.  When I left the bar was still not open,  but they had a soda machine outside so I bought an energy water with naranja juice in it. (Best laid plans...)



I began a nice climb to the coast path.  A lovely walk quickly turned awry,  as I took a left along a wider path which was the wrong one. I continued for a bit but was getting further from the main path. Being unsure where it would lead,  I made several attempts to cross field of wild flowers with some evergreen shrub type plants with stickers.  Each time I tried I would get close but then think maybe there is no path as this route is not heavily traveled.  It's an alternative path much longer along the coast.  

As the path I was on kept getting further away I decided I really needed to get back to the path and again attempted to cross a now wider field,  with more of these evergreen shrubs and a few blackberry looking plants with big stickers.  Even though warm here I always wear hiking pants not shorts because of plants like these, as often the path is narrow all along the Camino. 


This field was wide and on an incline down.  My Pilgrim GPS looked like the main path was just 50 - 70 feet away, so I decided to try again and not give up until there.  This time the flowers and plants and shrubs were thicker but still only about 2 - 3 feet tall but with pants and stick I could get over or thru but with just a bit more difficulty,  often my stick getting stuck on a plant. 


As I got closer,  I could finally see the path just another 20 feet ahead,  even as the shrubs were seemingly thicker.  I was basically high stepping to get on top of the shrubs and stickers, each step landing om a stickery cushion of plants. I was sweating with the extra effort but seeing the path goaded me on,  plus the thought of climbing back the way I came thru the dense plants, really left little alternative. 


I took a step and where the cushion should have become firm,  was not.  I had stepped into a small ravine about 2 feet deeper,  likely a path cut by water runoff.  I went face first into the ravine,  twisting my sore ankle, but cushioned somewhat by the sticky plants.  The sight line as i trapsed thru jungle made it look like one solid terra, As all the plants were the same height the ravine was camouflaged. (Things are not always as they seem).

 I was stuck in more ways than one.  The plants scratched up my arms and being in a more horizontal position with my pack on top pushing me down,  i found it difficult to right myself and then even more difficult to get out of ravine as I did not want to crawl on my hands with all the stickers.  

My stick helped me to right myself and then plant one foot really high and then I was able to step out. Then carefully testing the depth moved away from the ravine and made it to the path.  Luckily I also had an antiseptic wipe from a past united airlines flight which I washed the scratches on my arms... nothing major.  I always save these wipes and throw in my backpack for the next Camino. 


About 30 minutes later I realized my sleeping bag was gone,  it had obviously fallen off in the ravine,  as it was strapped to the back of my pack. This morning was the first time i did not slide the strap thru the sleeping bag string and thought,  i am not going to redo (10 second job) as surely i would notice if it slipped out 🙄.

 Weirdly,  I was just talking the day before about how I had only used it twice in the past two weeks (most alburgue provided sheets and blankets) and in future would not bring it,  instead just bring a sleep bag liner- sort of like a pillowcase shaped sheet used inside of bags. It made my pack heavier and worse bulkier and i even mentioned i wish i could get rid of it.  I knew I had little to no chance of finding the ravine as I would not remember where I entered path and plus had no desire to go back into the jungle. (Be careful what you wish for).


I worried how I would find something to replace as most towns are small and wondered if I should deviate route to go to a bigger city a little off the Camino. 


As I neared the next town,  I decided to deviate from the coastal path and take a more direct street route to Boo, to get back on main Camino.  Luckily walking on more solid surface,  my twisted ankle was not injured and the gentle walk stretched the tendons so all seemed well. 


Coming to an intermediate town I stopped at my first bar of day and had a lovely and well needed Cafe con Leche and yummy half BLET sandwich (blt with egg). 


Still feeling a little off after the morning adventure,  I headed to Boo worrying about my need for bedding. 


I came upon a tiny supermercado on the outskirts of town and wanted to replenish my fruit.  Love the peaches here and always a banana. 


 The outside was deceiving, as inside the store was deep and run by Asians,  who tend to have markets more like lill Walmarts. There was a section that had sheets and sofa blankets for about$18. But then I saw a small beach blanket,  much cuter and cheaper $7. So bedding problem solved.( The Way always provides).


I went across the street to a shady spot to pack my new purchases and was about to leave when I realized I left my stick in the supermarket.... again!!! Luckily just had to cross street to find. 


I continued to Boo along a busier street but it actually was rather nice, obviously frequently walked as it had little parks and ocean overlooks every 1/2 mile. 


I decided to just get to the alburgue in Boo and call it a day.  Arriving here found a beautiful alburgue with a brand new cafe just opened last month.


It seems the Way wants me to have a lighter pack and a real rest day!!!

Courage does not always roar  sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow. 


Buen camino!




1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a scary (and scratchy) day. So glad you’re okay and can rest and relax a little now. Hugs!