Friday, June 9, 2023

Day 17 Cam del Norte Pendueles to Nueva

 Today's pics



I actually did 19.5 miles,  once again i forgot to turn my app on for the first three miles.


I had planned on doing a shorter day today maybe around 12 miles but my current Camino family wanted to go further and shamed me into walking 20 miles today. I thought I had an out when there weren't enough bed so I volunteered to be the one without a bed there and that I would find my own but they wanted me to be in the town that they're staying at which is quite sweet when you think about it.

It's one of the things that happens on these Trails just like it does on the Appalachian Trail that you sort of develop relationships and friendships and acquaintances along the way. For the past 5 days I've been walking with the group of about five to seven people on and off. There's two women from the Netherlands one from Austria another from the Czech Republic a guy from Belgium and a couple French people. It's nice to travel with people over a few days you get to know them a little bit better especially when over dinner together to talk goes a little bit deeper as it did last night around our albergue table.

 It's like Dolly Parton says laughter through tears is her favorite emotion and that's certainly happened last night around the table. It's interesting to see the many reasons that people come to the Camino to find some Solitude and to find some grounding in their life there were multiple cases of people looking to change the way they live maybe the way they work grieving children that had passed, grieving spouses and Friends that had passed and other reasons.


Even the lady that runs the alburgue just returned the day before from her father's death in the Netherlands. It's interesting how it can go deep and light I guess that's kind of like life.  We are all searching for something and here it's just brought more to the surface and maybe people are more willing to share with strangers who have become friends or maybe we're just tired after a Long Day's walk in a little bit too much wine🤔🤪


Despite it being a long walk of 20 miles it was a lovely walk finally after days of almost all Street walking we had mostly Trails this morning and a light rain. I love walking in the rain as long as I'm not wearing a poncho I don't know what the hell those things are for I've only used one on the first walk and it's like being in a sauna the outside soaking wet the inside you're soaking wet and you're burning up. Since then I just carry an umbrella I'm much happier and I have a cover for my backpack when it rains.


Most of today was on trails that ran through valleys and forests and down to the beach and then back in land a bit through farmland and we hit a nice size city and just before lunch and I was able to get a really nice sandwich and refueled in the middle of the day to continue on. I actually knew where there were buses along the way in case I wanted to stop walking I'm to really have a rest day but it was a lovely day the walking wasn't too severe as far as Hills or go but the rest of the day was a lot on pavement which really tires out your feet. I did have the best brake spots today several times I was able to break right on the beach I have a drink and relax for 15 to 30 minutes before going on.

So another day is gone and another Journey finished and since I volunteered to give up my bed in the small albergue I decided to treat myself to a four-star hotel which is Major in Europe and the room was only $47.


 I actually felt a little embarrassed walking into it as pilgrims were walking by thinking what the hell is he doing. I imagine maybe even the reception thought that too I don't know if it's policy to take a guess to their room but she took me to my room on the second floor but she opted not to ride the elevator with me?? I'm not sure if it was because I was stinky or that's just their policy. Anyway off to get a cerveza con limo then a little bit later Pilgrim mail right across the street for 12 bucks.

I only have one or two days left to decide whether I'm going to continue on the Camino Del Norte which continues along the North Coast or if I'm going to take the Camino Primitivo which Bears off Inland and is much more of a nature trail. I'm kind of leaning towards the nature trail for getting off roads but the Food and Seafood especially has been so good on the Norte I'm wondering if I want to stay and continue.🤔


Buenos Noches!


No comments :