Friday, May 30, 2014

DAY 10: 28 May: Aigle - St Maurice (22km - 13 miles - 135 miles total)

Today is a mix of clouds and sun. Another strenuous day with some serious climbs and interestingly, I mostly ignore the guide and simply follow the marked pedestrian paths. The beginning is strenuous and the end is most flat along a couple rivers.


It is a nice walking day and my confidence grows for going over the Great St Bernard Pass which comes this weekend. I have broken the climb into two days under Sandra,s advice and think my body is now ready for two days of climbing, as the mileage is not much on each day, at least this is what I hope.

I arrive early in St Maurice and find some lovely flags that connect me to home and here. The mascot for the college where I teach is the Bear and I find street flags with a bear and a pilgrim. PROVIDENCE!

I spend the afternoon in the city, watching a local graduation of the military - all young people in Swityerland must serve a year in the military, so I think it is this. The day is peaceful and nice and I enjoy the afternoon and evening with a book, I bought in Vevey as some days I find myself a bit bored.

I also enjoy that Maurice is an old catholic city with lots of history, but also a mystical side as next to the Abbey is the Cave of the Fairies!

No comments :