Friday, May 30, 2014

DAY 8: 26 May; Lausanne - Vevey (20km - 12 m - 118m total)

It is a cloudy, rainy morning and I depart from Sandra after a nice morning coffee. It is so wonderful to reconnect, and is funny how friendships you make when young can be so strong and absent any agenda, but love and kindness and play.

 The walk is mainly beside the lake, and then into terraced vinyards. And after walking with a light pack yesterday, my body whines internally alot as I begin the march. Funny as the weight has not bothered me up to this point. A couple hours into the walk, I realize it is not the weight, but I have not tightened my back. Funny how I always think before, I not know how to organize such a back pack, I need an expert guide, not realizing my own body IS AN EXPERT GUIDE. With just a few tightening of straps the weight is not so heavy.

The walk is lovely, even though overcast, and I find that my travelers luck seems to have run out. Everytime I stop for a break, it is ok, but when I start again a nicer, more comfortable place seems like it was only 100 steps from where I stopped. Once I stop under an overpass to be out of the rain and there is one small flat rock I sit on, and when I leave, not 20 steps from there is another underpass with a fricking table...OHH LAA LAA. Normally I am such a lucky traveler, so I wonder what this is teaching the pilgrim. Also amusing is how people see me, especially as I sit under overpass. My intention is to leave my world to gain perspective, but it is amusing as I think people also see me as OUTSIDE THEIR WORLD...with the poor man under the road carrying anold stick as his walking stick.

The rest of day is a challenging walk up and down the terraced vinyards, but my body does not tire like the week before and



Vevey is the home to Nestle and I think Charlie Chpalin and some huge fork stuck in the lake....interesting the things you find out when you go slow. Oh and I also discovered a NEW FAVORITE...CURRY MAYONAISSE...YUM!!!!

I find a cheap guesthouse where i sleep in a room with 6 others; including a young american who has just finished college and is touring around before he enters the corporate wrld in August. A good day!

No comments :