Sunday, May 25, 2014

Day 6, Sat May 24. Yverdon - Orbes (17 km- 10 miles - 89 total miles)

It was a beautiful day and I woke up late as I am going far less than usual. I am also excited to see a friend from Freshman Year, Sandra Genolet, who is Swiss,  which I find strange I never knew. Anyway we hung out a bit freshman year, went on some outings and lost touch. Serendipitously we reconnected last year, when another Syracuse buddy, Jennifer Giffune, posted a flashback picture of her and Sandy - they were roomates, small world and wonderful conincidence for this journey.

The day starts out with an awesome farmers market in the city center, I buy some bread and fruit and am amazed at how many stores are open at 8, and how many people are getting their hair cut before I leave....

A wonderful walk through forests and valleys where i now get lost about five times, weirdly I seem to be ok with being lost...not something i expect. I wonder if this lasts.

An interesting stop at ancient roman ruins display mosaics that look new and remind me of my youngest son with the mythology images.

I arrive early at our rendez-vous point and have a long conversation with a russion immigrant on the rotation of the earth and magnetism...I really need to stop drinking while i walk and am happy when sandy arrives to rescue me

A lovely evening ensues with three generations of genolet,s Sandy, her daughter, and her parents in a wonderful flat overlooking the alps. They are so kind and gracious and are hosting me for two days.

It is so lovely here, i think maybe i stay!




No comments :