Friday, May 23, 2014

DAY 4: May 22: Pontarlier - St Croix

I begin the day early at 6:00, and am happy t have done so. It is to be a shorter day about 15 miles, whereas every day before has been about 20 miles. My ankles are very sore and I worry about injury, so I choose to go slow and let my body heal and grow stronger. It is a wonderful morning and the first thing I see is a Blue Heron, a favorite of mine at my lakehouse. Native maeircans stories think these birds are the messengers of the gods and they fly between the worlds. I like this idea and trust it is an omen for my journey. Amusingly I decide to rest today BEFORE I become tired and each time I realize I am beginning to tire, a small picnic area appears, I feel well take care of. I see deer in the mountains and one is atop of the picture here - CAN YOU SEE HIM?

Later afternoon I cross into Switzerland and it is still lovely. I stop for lunch in a small village, but it is too early for them to be open, but they make me a sandwich anyway, Ca Cest bon.


And then as I near St Croix, the last village before (Lauberson, it begins to rain steady. I think I might take the bus, but realize I have only euros and no swiss francs, so choose to walk on it is terrible, and dangerous as I walk along the road in therain



It  is all uphill, I am wet cold and tired when I arrive in St Croix at 3:00. I hope for a coffe or a beer, but all is closed between 2 and 6. so I find a tiny doorway out of the rain and eat the rest of my sandwich for lunch. And wonder where I will stay.

I decide to find the church and see if they can help me. I ask a lady on the street, "Ou c,est trouve l,eglise" and she is so kind and when she understand s I am pilgrim with no place to stay and it is raining, she puts me in her car and drives me to the church...no one is there, and she helps me find a B& B to stay and drives me there as it is a mile outside the village. My first angel arrives!!!!

I am a little sick with fever at night, but the warm shower, food and long sleep, seem to make me ok for the next day.s journey. We shall see!

No comments :