Friday, May 30, 2014

DAY 9: 27 May: Vevey - Aigle (6km - 4 miles - 122 total miles)

Today it rained all morning, and though the day was a mostly flat walk by the lake, two hours into my walk, I was wet through and cold. I am so miserable, I dont want to stop at the famous chateau in the lake but snap a quick photo and move on...cold, wet and ready to be out of weather.

My hotel had given me a free tourism card, that allows me to ride any local bus or train for the day, so I stop after about 4 miles walking and hop on the next bus, This takes me to Villeneuve, where the tourism office helps me book a room at a BnB in Aiglee a town about another 8 miles away.  It is funny the lady in the office says she cannot help me because it is another town where I want to stay and her boss does not allow this. I do not push, but simply ask where a pay phone is. And she immediately picks up the phone and makes the reservation; saying it is crazy..I am so nice and I simply accept waht she says and that I am different, so she breaks the rules.

The lady of this BnB will be out all afternoon and suggests I take the bus as the walk is not pretty (along train tracks) and the day is miserable - I have no problem being convinced and this seems like the best $5 I have spent on my trip.

I think I must have caught a fever, because I simply put my bags down take off my jacket and shoes and fall dead asleep for two hours. Waking take a hot shower, and wander the village. In the evening I go to a local restaurant, where the host asks me to translate the menu for an english couple. I find this encouraging and funny. I also love the looks and expressions I get, when people learn I am american and-or from texas and that I CAN SPEAK FRENCH; it is like I am some alien creature from a science fiction novel. Come see the strange creature; an American who speaks another language...HOW STRANGE.

The lady of the BnB is so kind and helps me arrange rooms for the next two nights - an Abbey in St Maurice and with the church in Martigny; so I feel confident and well protected. In french, the say vive le providence, which I take to mean having faith. This I like and sems to fit!





No comments :