Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A PILGRIM

I thought it might be interesting to see what a typical day is like during this journey....
  1. Wake up, and eat a lil something (italian breakfasts suck - pastry and expresso - as does their bread) and pack bag - usually about 6-630am. It takes me about 10 minutes to pack, and it is funny, but I have an absolute system for everything (clothes in bottom, toiletries here...
  2. Start Walking. Depending upon how long I am planning or walking or how hot it is, if a long walk (>18 miles) or if it is going to be hot, I try and be on the road by 7, and sometimes I even start at 6 in especially hot spots. A luxury day (or lazy pilgrim day) starts at 8, usually if I plan to walk very short or take train and do a skip. On hot or tough walks (hills), I average 2 miles an hour (when breaks included), cool times and flat walks I average closer to 3 mph.
  3. Breaks: I stop about every 2 hours for 15 - 30 minutes. I take my shoes off (sometimes socks too) and eat and drink something. Normally I carry some fruit, some ham or other dried meat and cheese and some OJ. I will take a longer break around lunch and sometimes even nap. Finding a good break spot is sometimes hard - i have some pictures of not so fun ones (underpass, etc.) I prefer cafes and bars or a nice bench or picnic tale.
  4. Arrival: I have tended to arrive in towns in early to mid afternoon, and I always try to find the tourist info office first if they have one, as this gives me info on computers, a map and eating and shopping. This is NOT an easy job and one of my least favorite, finding the office in a city with no map. I then usually head to the hostile (pilgrim hotel) I am hoping to stay in. Once there, i get a stamp in my pilgrim passport, I fill out a police document indicated who i am and where i am staying and get a lil tour and rules- info talk.
  5. Tourist- Shopping time: Once checked in, showered and sometimes short nap, I assess my food for the next day and see if I need anything. Then I spend afternoon, evening in city - journaling, looking at cites, shopping for food for walk, eating and drinking and getting Gelati!!!
  6. Bed Time: Normally between 9 - 11pm. Usually I read, I have bought several books here, in fact I bought one today, Henry James, The turning of the Screw (Only had a few classics in English).

NORMAL DAILY BUDGET:  ($29 - $59  though mstly closer to lower)
  1. Food for walk (fruit, meat,cheese, juice) $5.00
  2. Breaks at Cafes\ bars.  (coffee\ coke\ pastry)  - $10
  3. Room for night (most are donation based provided by local churches, where i normally leave $5, or $10 if the people or place is really nice (wash machine, fan, etc). If I have to get a hotel, these usually cost about $30. In last 2 weeks, I have only had a hotel one night, all others were donation and that one cost $27, but included breakfast.
  4. Dinner: If I eat out with others, this is usually about $15, if alone, its usually about $10 as sometimes I will just buy food to prepare or get something quick.                          

Oh and there is PLENTY of TIME for thinking..........

No comments :