Wednesday, June 25, 2014

DAY 38:June 25 Colle di Val d'Elsa to Sienna (0K - 0 miles - 532 total)


Last night I enjoyed strolling the streets of the OLD and NEW parts of the city in Colle di Val d'Elsa, especially after I found the ELEVATOR. The old part Towers about 10 stories about the lower level and the streets are treachourously steep....in a crazy way....it must never snow here. But the elevator is a Marvel, bored through solid rock it takes you to top or bottom in seconds, and at the bottom you exit via a cave-like tunnel. Beats the first time I went back up top....sweating all the way! I also realize I like cities like this, that are a little touristy, but not quite so busy. I stayed in the convent and had a lovely host and room....again all for free.

Viva la Providence!
This morning when I awoke at my normal time - about 5:30, it was pouring rain, so thinking I had a lighter day /(less walking - about 12-15 miles), I decided to sleep another hour and see the weather then. I woke up again at 8:00 - feeling groggy and it was not raining but a bit overcast, so I decided to take the bus to Sienna ($5 - well spent).

However when the bus arrived it got full fast and as I have a HUGE Pack and long stick, I thought maybe I should just wait 40 minutes for next bus, so I sat back down as Others boarded. I then watched as the bus driver got some other hikers off the bus and began storing their equipment under the bus - PERFECT - so I quickly ran up and stred ine to ...PROVIDENCE!

I am SO GLAD I did this as Sienna is HUGE, much bigger than I would have thought a city of 60,000 would be, but I am sure with all the tourists and they are here in busloads, the population is probably double. Getting into and out of large cities on foot is usually incredibly long and boring.


It is a beautiful city full of rich architecture, history etc., but right now it is swelling with tourists and touristy type shops - it is just not the Italy I want to see. I am staying in a convent here - again free, showered changed and walked about a bit, then found a quiet shady bench out of the way and spent a couple hours reading. A German couple asked me, why I was reading and not looking about if this was my only day here, and I pretty much shared the same - I like being out of the way, in real villages, not tourist sites.

I was planning on spending another day here, but now am happy to leave Tomorrow.,

No comments :