Tuesday, June 17, 2014

DAY 30: june 16: pontremali - Aulla (32Km - 20 miles - 420 total)



277 MILES TO ROME.....

The day was gorgeous, and I left Pontremoli about 7:00. The sky was blue, and this was one of the best walks so far. Lots of beautiful scenery, walks in the hills, walks through wonderful old towns, including places that seemed like a dead end, but as you came close to the wall you could see it opened to the left or right. It has some tough climbs and some tough descents, but not really long ones. So it was a wonderful walk.

As I was walking into Filattiera, (which by the way took 90 steps up), I saw a sign for bibliotecque (library), and since at that point I have been out of touch for 3 - 4 days, I thought I might see if they had internet. Often the smaller towns have fewer people and fewer rules (like only 30 minutes of use, etc.). I could not find it, but saw the Municipo (City hall) so went inside to ask. The security guard sent me upstairs, where I explained, "Sono Pelligrino, no computer, no telephono. Vorrei usaro computer con internet a parlo con parenti" (I am a pilgrim with no phone, no computer and like to find one to speak with my family). A nice lady ushered me into an office (hers) and sat me down. I ased if it was OK, and possibly use it for an hour, se just smiled and waved her hands as if to say, just use it. This nice lady was the MAYOR of the town and I was at her desk. While I updated my blog and answered email, she conducted her business with multiple people at the conference table across the room, always introducing them to the PILGRIM. I am still floored his occured, she was so nice.

The rest of the day was nice and later found the city of Aulla to be strange to what I have seen so far, specifically that it is ALL NEW, the priest told me that all was destroyed in WWII. But here they are so kind and have recommended a restaurant and even provide a computer, which i am on now.

No comments :