Wednesday, June 4, 2014

DAY 14: June 1: Bourg St Pierre > Gr St Bernard Pass (14km. 9 miles: 182 total)

Today was a hard day. With little food left and no store in Bourg St Pierre, we begin the ascent to the peak. It is cold when we start and every step up it gets colder. I continue to add clothes as we climb, eventually wearing 5 shirt; bike shirt, long sleeve training shirt, sweater, pullover jacket and pullover golf wind breaker. But th difficulty of the climb keeps me inside warm, except when we stop and my sweat turns cold.

 Again the day is beautiful but a wee bit frustrating as we go up, then we go down - in my mind losing the ground I make on every ascent. But in reality it is not too far as we are only climbing 14 km - about 10 miles) Of course dont forget this is mostly up.

As we climb a couple hours we are in the snow zone and I am amazed by the life here...lots of bugs including HUGE ANTS, marmots (German word - not sure the english translation) and flowers in all ranges of color. Seems no matter how severe circumstances are life just still happens in wonderful ways.

When we hit the last 3-4 miles, the path is too covered with snow for me to continue on it - Birgit has boots and continues, I instead take the road...a snake like course winding back and forth across the mountain. As today is a clear day there are lots of motor cyclists and cars, which makes this a bit scary, especially when I round curves and am in a blind spot. Despite being very tired, I surge energy at these èpoints and move fast. Also many spots there are no guard rails, so I walk on the edge, not looking to my left or right, just forward.

As I round each curve, and think I must be at the top, another level appears...a bit frustrating, but I know the top must come. I do this 5, 6, 7 times and more. Finally an hour and a half into this walk on the street, I round the last corner and see a building...a BAR and RESTAURANT. I am elated, but not enough that I have mnuch energy to surge with. But I make it to the bar and grab a seat outside...even though it is cold.

I just crossed the alps..(Sorry mom, but an expletive is in order here). Did you get that, I JUST WALKED OVER THE F-ing ALPS. I crossed the same spot as Napolean...and HE had a horse!

 I cannot believe it and am so proud of myself. I see Birgit coming to the top just as I make it too. I order a PANACHE - a beer with sprite...its actually quite refreshing - as my celebratory drink. Next to me a group of tourists drink and make fun of me. WHy are you so tired - it was not hard for us to get here---in a car! They ask me where I am from, and I tell them to guess. And they cannot...England, Holland, Germany, France???? Finally I tell them my hat is a clue...they guess Austrailian. Finally I let them know TEXANA!! And they ask where my horse is; as they are french and swiss, I tell them I was afraid to bring her as they might eat her! This gives a nice laugh and celebratory moment for me.

We spend the night in the 1000 year old hospice and have ddinner and breakfast there. I highly recommend staying and eating in the hotel next door. An awesome day and accomplishment....with Italy within eyesight.


2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Crossing the Alps and still having energy for a good provocative repartee... well done Sir...

Walkmag58 said...

Champion