Friday, June 6, 2014

DAY 17: June 4 - St Vincent - Issogne (18km - 10 miles - 232 total)

All pictures: https://viafrancigenawithmichael.shutterfly.com/pictures

COWBOY PILGRIM HAS HIS MOJO BACK!!!!!

Marco (Morrocan) and I wake and share an early breakfast and I wish him luck in finding work. 
My heart aches for him and his family.




Since it is so early, I choose not to wait an hour for Birgit and begin my walk. I feel this is ok.I get an early start and in my guide , it says another ay ion the mountains, so I choose to go my own way and begin the day walking along a minor highway. There is a bit of traffic but not bad. And within two miles I see a small road off to the right and decide to take it....and find an older via Freancigena sign...these usually are more direct paths and off the highways.

It is a lovely path and it is relatively flat with nice shade and scenarie. About an hour into the walk, I receive a call from nature and think ohh la la, I really do not wanbt to be a camping boy. In just 20 steps is a beautiful cafe and garden....and a gabinetti (toilet). HORRAY FOR PILGRIM MOJO!!!!

A nice capuccino, and onward I go. I find the rest of morning is some climbing and a few severe downs...which still stress my knees, but not so bad. And has awesome views. About 10, I arrive at the church of Montravet and sit for a nice break and drink. Here they have fighting bulls, but unlike Spain, the bulls fighteach other and only to submission, not death.

Here I run into Birgit again. I choose to trust the way, and we walk together, though she wants to hitch hike and go further. An hour later we get lost and she decides to go her own way, so I again trust the way. I also pass many vineyarsd with the grapes just beginning...

The rest of afternoon is flat walking but all industrial areas ì BORING and not lovely. I arrive in a small village Issogne and have a light lunch in cafe and see there is a bibliotheque - opening in an hour and half, so as it begins to rain, i decide to stay and wait and update internet blog. I sleep for a little on acovered bench outside library. The librarioan is lovely and helps me with internet and later when done it is raining hard, she connects me with a friend whoo has a BnB mearby - 5 minutes and a recommendation for dinner.

The BnB is superb - an entire apartment for myself, kitchen, tv lounge, bathroom with a small tub (YEAH for SOAKING LEGS) and the LOTTERY...a washing mashine which I can use. I am no longer stinky...well for an hour or so. A lovely evening, the restaurant is nearby and without my pack walking in the evening rain is pleasant. I arrive to find the family who run the restaurant eating their dinner and no one else. The momma offers me her dish of QUATTRO FORMAGIO pasta....OH LA LA so good a little wine and back home. A great- awesome day anmd night. In the morning the BnB owbner has made me fresh yogurt for local milk overnight, and provides other local delicasies from her garden before I go. OH LA LA...PERFECTO!!!!

No comments :