Tuesday, June 3, 2014

DAY 12-13: May 30-31: Martigny >Orsieres > Bourg St Pierre (35kn - 28 m - 173 total)

Friday May 30: Pretty uneventful day as I stayed in Martigny to update blog and rest a bit. Had McDonalds for lunch...SHAMEFUL PEREGRINO, then took the train to the next village, Orsieres, where I rendez-voused with my new pilgrim partner, Birgit. We stayed for free again in a church room, with a lil kitchen, but no bath...so the stinky tourist becomes even stinkier. 



We made a lovely dinner and relaxed thru the afternoon and evening. But a lovely village to begin the march up the mountain tomorrow, which am glad Sandra will join us.



SATURDAY,MAY 31: Orsieres to Bourg St Pierre. This begins the two day trek up and over the alps, via the famous Great St Bernard Pass, a route taken by Napolean. We will stay in the Hospice at the top which has been there for a 1000 years....it boggles my mind when I think of the history I am walking by.

Sandra (my Syracuse buddy) joins us at 8 in the morning and it is a lovely day.

We have provisions for the walk and have a lovely walk that is very strenuous at times with steep climbs. The most frustrating for me is often just after we climb up a few 100 meters we come down again just to do it all over again.


 In the afternoon we find ourselves in the historic village of Bourg St Pierre about half way to the top and have a little problem findng rooms, as a local college has taken over the small town for a sports fest. And we find a lil parade of the namesake dogs which are no longer used for rescue as they are too heavy for the helipcopters.

Later in the evening after I say my final goodbyes tro Sandra, I hit JOE,s Bar for dinner and a beer - finding myself surrounded by 4 sexy young girls who want to invite me to a party....what I thought was a biker bar, seems to have something more going on. And to top that , my ego got totally hurt when those same ladies invited every other man in the joint, leaning on each in tight closthes, etc. I am still not exactly sure what I was being invited too.....perhaps I missed a pilgrim adventure!!!

SORRY NO PICTURES!!!

No comments :