Thursday, June 16, 2016

Day 13: June 16: Lauzerte >> Moissac (27 km)

NEVER FORGET ALL CAN CHANGE IN A MOMENT...

TODAYS PICS:

The day started lovely with nice sun and clouds and a nice pilgrim breakfast together...but man I would have loved some bacon. The house lady was so kind and nice and felt like a family member - it was so kind for her to let me stay in the house last night, but alas I have lost Siggy.

With so much rain last night - and all week, though it was awesome to watch it coming in from such a great view and height, it once again made today incredibly difficult and challenging - on a day with long mileage and many climbs and descents.

I made some good time this morning, by avoiding the paths and tking nearby roads, but about two hours in I made a bad call in not taking the path and thinking I could divert around it. This added about 3 miles to my day and I had to backtrack and take the path - the worst I have ever seen, I was just slipping and sliding and am surprised I did not end up on my arse..which reminds me of another story and city, but that will come later...Montcuq.

After 14 km, I found a direct road to the ending point for today, Moissac, the D16 - a road that was direct and not too much traffic, but dangerous curves now and again. It was an additional 13km to Moissac and I began walking - energy ok, but feet sore from all the walking and the now road walking. After walking for about 3 hours, my head just wasnt in the game - I wasnt sure how much further and was junst mentally whining inside.

Reminded of the kind stranger and the ride of yesterday, on an impulse as a car was passing I stook out my thumb and nothing happened, 30 seconds later I tried again and this time got picked up...and there was already one other pilgrim in the car. A kind lady and her son took the two muddy pilgrims to Moissac. I am so glad to because Moissac is relatively large and spread out and it was another 2-3km from city edge to city center which would have really dragged on me.

I want to remember this quick change - for other times in my life when things arent going well - there is always hope for something different - and perhaps most times it startes when I do something different - even something simple like sticking out my thumb. It actually was kind of exciting - I have never hitch hiked before....so now I think Im way cool - it a fun adventure - if a little anticlimatic - not sure exactly what I was expecting.

Upon being dropped off and much happier now, I decided it was time for my weekly traet of a hotel and using booking.com, I found a cheap room with breakfast in town. - $56. The Hotel Napolean. Upon arrival, the Hotelier, Gabby, just took amazing care of me, providing me a great room, a drink, and even taking my muddy clothes and washing them for me - OOO LALA. But the best part was, there is a fricking HOT TUB here!!!!!

After showering with my shoes on - yes they were horrible, and a great nap and hot tub sit, I had a nice italian pizza dinner and then surprisingly the church had a special concert tonight - youth choirs from New York City and Toulose joined together for a gospel concert. There I met up with some pilgrim friends - again several who were ending here - a sad and bittersweet moment.

Bon Nuit!





No comments :