Sunday, June 26, 2016

Day 22: June 25: Arthez-de-Bearn >> Navarrenx (32 km)

THE WORST OF TIMES:

Todays Pics

The weather was good, so I felt I was in pretty good form to make yet another long day - almost 20 miles, but today was full of steep climbs and steep descents. Along the journey I have done exceptionally well - partially because I have worn support on my knees and ankles everyday (COPPER COMPRESSION) and have remained focused and conscius especially when going downhills.

Today there were four major climbs followed by steep descents, and interestingly for the first time I really enjoyed the invigorating challenge of the climbs. Normally I am not over enthusiastic about climbing hills, but today found them challenging in a way that gave me energy to push through them. It is so satisfying to be able to do a large climb and though certainly my heart rate raises as does my body temeperature and breathing, but to be able to do the entire hill in one go without losing my breath - having a strong and steady pace and conquering the hill.

Perhaps it was this spirit of conquer that led me to a foolish mistake and my first injury. The first steep descent was mainly street and I went at it faster than I normally do, and stressed out the tendon on the front of my right ankle. I think the stress might have been ok, and might have easily recovered if I did not have another 25km (15 miles) and 3 more stepp descents. By the end of the day, my ankle was slightly inflamed and I was exhausted, hobbling into town after an 8-hour ordeal with painful steps most of the way,

The horrible day, had a nice ending with a wonderfully unique and spirtual Gites in this ancient town. It was run in the ancient tradition of supporting pilgrims - there was no charge, only a box if one is able and willing to donate to cover the costs. Two pilgrims, Manuel and Patrice, ran the gites and were lovely and entertaining and also incredible cooks - even carving momentos of the walk into the food - check out the pics! They washed, dried and folded everyones clothes - again for free and then provided us an incredible meal and wine.

This was a favorite stop along the way and a way to wash away the difficulties of earlier...

Bon nuit!





1 comment :

Helen Tye Talkin said...

Oh my goodness Michael, what a day! I do not know how you walked another 15k after realizing your ankle tendon was strained. I know what you mean about the steep descents after an ascent, I think they are the hardest. Take it easy please! (The Gite sounds amazing!)