Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Day 25: June 28: Lareceveau >> St jean Pied de Port (18 km)

TODAYS PICS:




Todays walk went fast - mainly as it was a short walk and I walked with a very fast Swiss guy, Johannes. When you walk and talk, time flies by. The scenery was nice, but not as nice as yesterday.

But today is sentemental as I arrive at the end of this leg at what was the city where this all began for me - St Jean Pied de Porte in 2009. The last time I was here, I had barely slept on an overnight train from Paris, got to town at 9:30 and began walking at 10 in the morning a very late start for a very tough climb -- over a mile up.

I was excited to actually see the city of my first pilgrimmage, but became disappointed as it is overflowing with tourists and pilgrims. The walk has become very poipular and this lessens the charm of this amazingly beautiful city for me. It seems the world always turns towards money and this is sometime tough for a sentemental guy.

Tomorrow I walk up the mountain, recreating my first day or at least a bit of it...I am excited for this too!

Bon Nuit!

No comments :