Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Day 4: June 7: St Chely >> Espallion (22km)

 THE REAL WORLD - Ou c'est trouve?
The day was beautiful again with good climbs and better descents without so much water or difficult paths (live stream beds). I feel myself growing stronger which is nice, but am a bit overwhelmed by all the pilgrims (fellow travelers along the way).

In Italy, the entire 2 months walking, I saw maybe 20 pilgrims total, here I see at least that many a day. Although it is easy to walk alone and I do this most of the day, if I stop, at a spot to rest or reflect, maybe ten or fifteen minutes before another pilgrim arrives.

Perhaps I am just a whiney American - In Italy I was too lonely and here I am not lonely enough.

Another thing that I am struggling with is technology. I have never had any technology on previous walks - not even a cell phone. But here on this walk I have a cell phone, a kindle (books), and a laptop (I'm actually teaching an online course that began Monday).

The absence of technology let me truly walk outside my world and go inside to a new wold so to speak. I remember in Italy, I often found computers in the library or bureau de tourism, but these would close at 5 or so; and without technology I felt I had so much time. Even now as I walk, I am sometimes checking my phone for stupid reasons like email or facebook updates. I feel lost on the way.

I know in my own "normal" world, I have so many distractions - phone, internet,tv, work, etc. that it sometimes seems days go by without thinking or paying attention to whats around me. And that is part of the discomfort with the walks - is having nothing but time and having to fill it. I read voraciously in Italy when I could find English books - but I guess this too was another distraction. And now my kindle is loaded with like 40 classics from Thoreau to Dickens to Hugo - all free books from Guttenberg as copywrights are long ended.

So I think my challenge now is not physical, but mental and discipline - can I "turn-off" the world I know, to remember the REAL WORLD that we all carry within. It is like this picture I took today that I love. The clouds hid most of the view, but there was a tiny window to see through - perhaps this is what our distractions do - hide the best view!

Here is my plan:
  •  Internet check ins/ school in morning; 
  •  Turn phone off while I walk - use only for reservations
  • 5 - 6 pm Internet Happy Hour (phone for facebook, etc)
Let's see how my INTERNET/ DIET goes! Care to diet with me!

Bon Nuit!

1 comment :

Unknown said...

My baby brother...One of the best sermons I heard was UNPLUG. It was then I realized why mom and dad get upset when we check our phones. Our attention needs to be on our surroundings and those who surround us. See the other pilgrims as blessings and not a distraction as they are being brought into your life for a reason. Besides I know you...you can't turn your back on anyone!!! Safe travels and UNPLUG!!! Love ya